Tuesday, March 3, 2009

(b)Log #3

Read: Chapter 5 - Pages 29-41

Page 38:
"Whenever we talk about Aisha I feel two things: I'm proud, like I get to rest for a minute in the glow of being her baby sister, but then I get mad and wish there was some way I could make them notice me too."

I thought that this sentence gave a lot of insight on how Nadira feels about Aisha. I can totally understand that Nadira would feel really proud of her sister and everything that she has accomplished, and that she looks up to Aisha. Most younger siblings would be just like Nadira in this way. They look up to their siblings, and try to be like them. But of course, if their sibling is successful, they would be jealous, and Nadira seems rather jealous.

I think that Nadira is really proud of her sister, but she also really wishes that her parents would pay attention to her. Yes, she may believe that she is the younger sister, the stupid one, the fat one, but she is still there! She is still their daughter! Shouldn't they be paying attention to both of their children? Not just focusing their energy on the older, "more successful" one?

No comments:

Post a Comment